Roof Inspection Experts
When storms hit the Houston, TX area, they tend to hit hard. If your roof was hit hard by a storm, it’s usually a wise thing to get your roof inspected when the weather clears up, especially if hail or high winds are involved.
Roof inspections can uncover even the slightest bit of damage that might otherwise go unchecked until it’s too late. It’s also good to get your roof inspected yearly to spot and repair any problems like leaks before they end up costing you later on.
For thorough roof inspections in Houston, TX, look to the professionals at Innpreconn Roofing. Your first consultation and inspection is free. Give us a call today at 832-479-0336.
What is involved in a roof inspection?
If your contractor is thorough, a roof inspection should include checking roof penetrations like vents and skylights, the attic ventilation, and more, including the following:
- Attic ventilation: This is typically the first thing a roof inspection will include. Making sure the attic can breathe is important because if cold and hot air gets trapped, it can lead to leaks and will shorten the lifespan of the roof. Inspections should also involve checking the insulation. Too much insulation or poorly applied insulation can affect roof ventilation.
- Visible roof leaks: A professional roof inspection will include checking for obvious leaks like water stains on the ceiling and walls. If they find any, they will trace it back to where the leak is coming from and make their recommendation for repair or replacement.
- Roof layers: Professionals like those at Innpreconn Roofing will check how many layers your roof has during this roof inspection. If someone has reroofed directly over another set of shingles, you could have problems like moisture build-up.
- Roof decking: A good inspection will check the decking to see if it is solid or spongy. They also check that nails are holding firm. If the decking is soft and spongy, the contractor will recommend a new roof.
- Roof vents: A roof inspection will include the vent system. This includes gable, ridge, or soffit vents. Contractors make sure these components are unobstructed and if there are gas appliances, they will make sure those appliances are properly vented.
- Shingles: The inspection will include the condition of the shingles. If the shingles were installed incorrectly, the lifespan is short. If the nails were driven sideways, this creates bumps in the roof, making it less stable. The roof inspection will include looking for any broken, buckling, cracked, loose, or missing shingles.
- Penetrations and skylights: A roof penetration is anything that sticks out through the roof like skylights and vents. Inspectors check to make sure they have rubber boots or flashing and do not show any sign of leaking.
- Chimneys: The chimney is another roof penetration, but it requires additional inspection like the flashing, the mortar, and the chimney cap.
- Flashing: The roof flashing is another important part of the roof inspection. Inspectors make sure it is in place, has no rust, and is secure.
- Gutters: Your roof inspection will include checking the gutters and downspouts. The contractor will make sure they are fastened and secure, there aren’t any cracks or open seams, and there isn’t any blockage.
How long does a roof inspection take?
The average single-story home of 2,000 square feet or less takes approximately 45 minutes to an hour for a complete, thorough roof inspection. For a multi-story or a home with more than one attic, a roof inspection can take up to 2 hours or longer.
How often should your roof be inspected?
A roof inspection should be done every other year by a professional for the first 10 years. Then they should be conducted annually after that until it is time to replace the roof.
An important note: Get an inspection after any significant weather event to make sure no damage has occurred.
How do you determine a roof’s condition?
The lifespan for asphalt shingle roof systems is somewhere between 15-40 years. But not all homes will sustain the same damage. The deterioration, wear, and tear can vary. Therefore, monthly roof inspections by the homeowner are important. The things to be checked include:
- Normal wear and tear: As soon as a roof is installed, it starts to deteriorate because it is immediately exposed to the elements, especially the sun’s UV rays. This can sound alarming, but it is normal, however, if you see cracked or curling shingles, dark streaks, or a significant amount of granules missing, a professional roof inspection should be scheduled.
- Storm damage: After hailstorms or high winds, get a roof inspection for cracked shingles, missing shingles, large dents, or holes.
Why is a roof inspection important?
A roof inspection can find issues with a roof that can be addressed before bigger problems begin like roof leaks. The roof is an important part of a home’s stability and if it has any weak areas, the stability of the house becomes weaker.
How much does a roof inspection cost in the US?
The cost of a roof inspection will vary from contractor to contractor. When you first contact Innpreconn Roofing for any roofing solution, the initial roof inspection and estimate are free.
Some contractors will charge for inspections. And, often, roof inspections are part of maintenance plans that have various charges depending on the plan.
You might also get charged for a roof inspection as part of a home inspection when buying or selling a home.
Again, prices will vary from contractor to contractor and from service to service. But, remember, the first inspection we provide for you is free.
Roof Inspection Near Me
Getting your roof inspected is good for many reasons. It should be part of regular maintenance, for instance. But, you should also get inspections after severe weather events, and before you file a claim with your insurance company.
When you want a thorough roof inspection in Houston, TX, look to the experienced professionals at Innpreconn Roofing. Set up an appointment today by calling 832-479-0336.